Friday, February 13, 2009

Namaste

"I honor the place in you where Spirit lives. I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Truth, of Light, of Peace; when you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, then we are Truly One." ~ Author Unknown


The first time I heard the word “Namaste” was in a chant on tape I had purchased as a meditation aid. Although the vibrations of the word were very peaceful and definitely a mood enhancer, I had no idea what the word itself meant. I decided to do a little research on Namaste – what I found definitely made me appreciate the moment I purchased the tape.

Namaste is a beautiful expression which represents the belief of a Divine spark being present within each of us. Interpretations of this word include: 'The God in me greets the God in you", or "The Spirit in me meets the Spirit in you". Regardless of definitions, this very amazing word clearly states that we are all connected as one, and we should recognize and acknowledge that Spirit in each other. Granted, sometimes it is hard to see that spark in others. It can become so deeply buried under layers of earthly illusion that we readily assume some people have lost their light. Yet, they never do. As long as a breath of life exists within the body, the light of Spirit is ever present.

For some the light has become so dim they can no longer identify it within themselves, and may need the light of others to guide them back to the source. With the flame of one candle we can light a room full of them, if we pass the flame around. There is no reason why people can’t do the same. Each of us has that power. And what about those people whose only purpose in life appears to be that of creating strife and heartache? Are they a faulty product of the mind of Creation, or is crossing paths with them simply a test we must surpass before we strengthen the flame within ourselves?

Being able to recognize the presence of a Divine spark in all is exhilarating in the least. Our ego pushes for us to become isolated through fear, doubt, earthly judgment – sharing such a bond with all faces of creation is synonymous of never being alone.

No matter who crosses our path today – nice or bitter that they may be – let’s make an effort to greet them with “Namaste”. We do not need to do so out loud or overtly, but can just whisper it to ourselves. Their ears may not hear us, but the Divine being living inside of them will acknowledge the greeting, and will certainly nod in recognition of having met a kindred Spirit, if only for a moment.

No comments: